- Mrs N McMahon
- Mrs AM Delargy
- Mrs AM Begley
- Mrs M Rock
What is Business Studies?
At St Joseph’s our students are offered GCSE Business & Communication Systems and GCSE Applied Business. At ‘A’ level Applied Business is offered. These courses offer a dynamic insight to business and information systems that prepare students for the challenges of the 21st Century. They emphasise the ever-changing character of business, the diverse nature of business enterprise and the interdependence of the various parts of the business world.
Both Applied Business and Business and Communication Systems are practical and exciting subjects that equip pupils with many life skills such as communication, problem solving, interpretation and presentation of data, time management, team work, research and decision making.
Whether your aim is to pursue an academic career, train for a profession or become an entrepreneur the necessary knowledge and skills will be provided.
- To maintain and/or stimulate pupil curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Business Studies.
- To enable pupils to be familiar with a body of business knowledge, principles, skills and vocabulary.
- To enable pupils to see Business Studies in the context of a wider body of knowledge and skills.
- To enable pupils to understand and use investigative methods.
- To enable pupils to be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- To develop an awareness in pupils of the implications of business and industry (past and present) for the individual, the community and the environment
What can I do with a qualification in Business?
Business Studies is a totally relevant to the world in which we live. Everyone is involved with business as an owner, employee or a customer. Therefore, knowledge of Business Studies or Business and Communication Systems makes a positive contribution to all career paths. More specifically the subject offers an excellent foundation for those wishing to pursue careers in:
- Banker, Retail/ Investment/Commercial
- Business Journalism
- Company Secretary/ Executive P.A.
- Corporate Law
- Distribution/ Logistics Manager
- Insurance Underwriter
- Human Resource Manager
- Management Consultant
- Marketing Executive
- Public Relations Account Executive
- Recruitment Consultant
- Retail Manager
- Sales Executive
- Systems Analyst/IT Consultant
Knowledge of Business Studies will be useful in any career where the holder is required to manage people or resources.