Home economics is a new and exciting subject for you.
In our classes we will have the chance to try out new ideas, dishes and skills and this will help us become more independent within our family, home and community.
The topics that you will cover in Year 8 include:
- Home Economics, what is it all about?
- Preparation for cookery in St Joseph’s
- Equipment in the Home Economics room
- The cooker
- Safety and Hygiene in Home Economics
- Introduction to the Dietary Goals
- Introduction to the Eat Well Plate
- Food Storage
- Introduction to Family types
- Roles and responsibilities
Some of the practical work we do in Year 8:
- Breakfast – scrambled/poached egg, tea and toast
- Witches crunch
- Wheaten bread
- Christmas cookies
- Fairy cakes
- Pancakes – Shrove Tuesday
- Easter Cookery