- Mrs R Burns (Head of Department)
- Mrs AM Delargy
- Monsieur Simon de Parseval (Language Asst)
The GCSE course seeks to build on the foundations laid at Key Stage 3 and to develop pupils as individuals and contributors to the economy, society and environment. This revised specification commencing Sept 2017 focuses on the practical use of French and is a sound basis for progression to further study, higher education and employment.
The course aims to increase pupils’ oral and written proficiency in the language by developing the skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Each skill is worth 25%. Reading, Writing & Listening are assessed by CCEA in an external exam at the end of Year 12. The Speaking assessment is conducted by the class teacher at a designated time but marked by CCEA.
The French Department follow CCEA GCSE FRENCH.
Additional Support for KS4
Frequently used sites at St Joseph’s
Pupils can also access specific resources on our VLE SITE
- We have a French Language Assistant two days per week who works with pupils in small groups to improve their oral skills in particular.
- We celebrate European Day of Languages on 26th September every year with displays of work which focus on particular aspects of the many European cultures we have in our school community. European Day of Languages
Other events include:
- a French Breakfast morning where pupils get to savour a typical French Breakfast
- the ‘Opportunity Europe Fair & Exhibition’ in St George’s Market in Belfast in October. This event, organised by the British Council, highlights our European and international links in the world of work, study and volunteering, and is of particular interest to students with a European language. (See leaflet)
French Department Notices:
Mrs Burns 11B GCSE French – SNOW WORK 1st March 2018 Year 11B FRENCH snow work – work to be completed for Thurs 8th March.
Yr 12 GCSE French – continue revision and study as directed by Mrs Delargy and Mrs Burns. (Various resources eg podcasts, interactive reading and listening practice etc have been placed in ‘Shared Resources’ - ‘French KS4’ – ‘After School Revision Yr 12’ French YR 12 Revision timetable 2018